Preserved Green Mangoes

One of the things I love living in the Philippines is the abundance of tropical fruits like bananas, coconuts, pineapples and mangoes. If I could eat only one fruit in my life, I would choose to eat mangoes! Philippine Mangoes are the best! Specially then they are cheap and in season. My godmother who now lives in NYC always say that nothing beats the sweetness and juiciness of our local mangoes. When they aren't in season though I love eating Preserved Mangoes or more locally known as Burong Mangga. They are regularly available in supermarkets, but you know me, I love making things from scratch. How hard could it be? I spoke too soon.
I soon found out there are different ways on how to do it. Some uses water, sugar and salt solution, some adds chili or sili, our local chili. The original recipe though is the brine solution, using rock salt and water. Choosing which solution I should use is a no brainer. I have a sweet tooth therefore I chose the sugar and water solution. I got the recipe of my favorite local food magazine called Yummy. The combination of the sweet sugar syrup with the sour green mangoes is absolutely addictive so give it a try. The only thing that I found hard in this process is the waiting process, you need to give mangoes time to absorb the syrup, you have to leave it alone for 2 to 3 days! Yikes! I know the feeling.

PRESERVED GREEN MANGOES or BURONG MANGA
Adapted from Yummy Magazine
  • 2 to 3 large green mangoes, peeled and cut into big strips
  • 4 cups of water
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp. salt
  1. Wash and peel green mangoes.
  2. Slice the mango cheeks into big strips. Discard the seeds.
  3. Boil 4 cups of water then let it cool completely.
  4. Soak the sliced mangoes in the cooled water overnight. This will soften the mangoes but still keep it crisp to the bite. I put mine in the fridge.
  5. To make the syrup, fill the pan with the 2 cups of water. Pour in the salt and sugar, let it boil until the sugar and salt are completely melted. Let it cool completely. Once cooled, store it in the fridge with the mangoes soaking in water.
  6. Drain the mangoes soaking overnight and place in an airtight container.
  7. Pour syrup over mangoes, make sure the the mangoes are all the way submerged.
  8. Refrigerate 2 to 3 days before for indulging.

nikcreate

I'm a nine to five pencil pusher who loves to play with flour and paper during my free time. Dreams of going to Europe and eat croissants and make pastries all day long!

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow..My mom used to pickle green mangos and use vinigar to preserve them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello! joy, when I was little I remember making it with vinegar for our Home EC and didn't like it much. you should try this if you're feeling a little bit home sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...... this is good idea.....instead of throwing the mangoes away after a hurricane wind.... do preserve them this method..........no loss.........we can survive!.. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article.
    Mango exporter in Pakistan

    ReplyDelete