Happy Father's Day!


In my family we love celebrations birthdays, anniversaries, christmas, new year, mother's days and of course lets not forget father's day! (Yeah yeah I know this post is months delayed and I'm sorry for that but life got in the way, but I still want to share this to everyone.)


I love making cakes for special occassions like this, I love the planning stage, buying of ingredients and such and of course the baking process. My biggest problem that I encountered in making cake this time is that: what kind of cake? Papa is a really huge fan of chocolate, so its only practical that I make a chocolate cake. But with all the many chocolate recipes to choose from I'm getting confuse!?! I, myself have more than a hundred recipes of chocolate cake from my 8 or 10 baking books that are solely about chocolates. I always make a Chocolate Fudge Cake, however, I want something different and unique, something that I've never made before that everyone will love. So I turn to the authority in chocolate, non other than Tish Boyle!

Tish Boyle is the editor of Chocolatier magazine and Pastry and Design magazine, she have published tons of books like Chocolate Passion (which is in my wish list), Diner Desserts, & much much more the most recent is The Cake book(this I have).

While browsing through this book, I thought what could be more chocolatey than a flourless chocolate cake, right? Unfortunately The Cake Book doesn't have any flourless chocolate cake recipe so I turn to the next best thing, I search the internet. I found this recipe in the Pastrywiz website.


Flourless Bittersweet Chocolate Cake with Milk Chocolate Drizzle

by Tish Boyle and Timothy MoriartyAuthors of Chocolate Passion

Yield: 12 servings



Prepare this cake, and you can promise your guests the ultimate chocolate experience; they will not be disappointed. A simple but straightforward exercise in sweet surrender, this flourless cake is glazed with dark chocolate and further drizzled with milk chocolate. The raspberry jam and kiss of cognac add intriguing flavor notes.
Preparation: 50 minutes, plus baking and chilling times


Flourless Chocolate Cake

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces

2 tablespoons cognac

6 large eggs, separated, at room temperature

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided


Chocolate Glaze

4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

1/3 cup heavy cream

2 tablespoons honey


Assembly

1/3 cup seedless raspberry preserves

Garnish

3 ounces milk chocolate, melted

Make the flourless chocolate cake
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter the bottom and sides of a
9-inch springform pan. Line the bottom of the pan with a round of parchment or waxed paper, butter the paper


In a medium saucepan, combine the chocolate and butter. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the chocolate and butter are melted. Gently whisk until smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in the cognac. Let cool.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and 1/2 cup of the sugar until well blended. Stir in the melted chocolate mixture.


In the 4 1/2-quart bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer, using the wire whip attachment, beat the egg whites at medium speed until frothy. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat the egg whites until soft peaks start to form. One tablespoon at a time, beat in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Continue beating until the egg whites are stiff but not dry.
Using a large rubber spatula, gently fold the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture in 3 additions. Do not overmix.


Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the cake is puffed and a tester inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Using a small sharp knife, cut around the sides of the cake to loosen it. Release the panside. Invert the cake onto a wire rack. Peel off the parchment paper and cool the cake completely. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight.


Make the chocolate glaze

Place the chocolate in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the heavy cream to a gentle boil. Using a wire whisk, stir in the honey. Pour the hot cream mixture over the chocolate and let the mixture stand for 30 seconds to melt the chocolate. Whisk the mixture until smooth. Cover the surface of the glaze with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes or until slightly thickened.


Assemble the cake

Remove the cake from the refrigerator and remove the plastic wrap from the cake. Place the cake on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Using a metal spatula, spread the raspberry preserves evenly over the top and sides of the cake. Pour the chocolate glaze over the cake, covering it completely; spread evenly with a metal spatula. Drizzle the top of the glazed cake with the melted milk chocolate. Serve the cake immediately, or refrigerate. Bring the cake to room temperature before serving.


For this Father's Day cake I want it to be special, so I bought special chocolate that goes with my special chocolate cake I use a Callebaut bittersweet chocolate for the cake and the glaze and I use Valhrona milk chocolate for the drizzles. This is actually the first time I bought very expensive chocolates to make cake with. Hmmm...this cake better be great not good but great.


Another great this about this recipe is that it looks quite easy and it truly is that easy, it was a breeze. My only disappointment in this recipe is that that the cake souffled up during the baking due to the eggwhite folded in and as the cake cools the middle fell so I got a big crater in the middle. Since nobody knows that it wasn't suppose to look like that right? so why tell them. I still think it looks sexy and delicious not as pretty as a level cake but still looks okay for me :)


Try this recipe its really good! HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!


To all the fathers and would-be fathers everywhere.... HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

nikcreate

I'm a nine to five pencil pusher who loves to play with flour and paper during my free time. Dreams of going to Europe and eat croissants and make pastries all day long!

No comments:

Post a Comment