Jumbo Blueberry Muffins


Whenever I get a chance to visit another country, I at least MUST visit one of excellent local bookstore, one of my favorite whenever my family and I visit HongKong is PageOne, it's so big I can stay there for days and not be finished with all the books to read. One of my recent purchased is Diner Desserts by Tish Boyle, although here in Manila diners aren't that prevalent unlike in the United States, I still couldn't resist this book #1 because it's written by one of my favorite author. #2 I love making those tall, homey looking cakes that is so associated with diner desserts. #3 although it doesn't have much pictures of the desserts themselves, which is often one of my requirements for loving a book, this book is so much different. I love the black and white pictures of the diners that is scattered throughout the book, it evokes a sense of nostalgia that in our current economical and political turmoil is a nice welcome.

There's so much recipes that I want to try with this book that I couldn't wait to start! Next to finding an excellent book, the hardest part for me is finding that first recipe to start of your time together. As hard as it may seem I had to choose, I started with something easy but a first time for me, I started with the Jumbo Blueberry Muffin Crumble.


It's amazing when I realized that I haven't made a successful muffin before this. My first muffin experience was from one of Nigella Lawson's book, it was a Banana Muffin, it came out inedible, don't know what went wrong there but it was awful! I swore off muffin making after that, it just wasn't for me, until this one...

I'm not sure what made me choose this recipe from the others, I have seen a lot of blueberry muffin recipes before so there really shouldn't be any reason to be drawn to this recipe! But now that I've finished and ate it, I can happily say that this muffin is different from the blueberry muffins that my mom purchase in French Baker, one of the most popular locally established bakery franchised here in Manila.

When I was making this muffin, I was a bit skeptical when everything is combined and mixed together, it seems as if it wouldn't be enough to fill my jumbo muffin molds! I just keep telling myself that, relax that's what the book said it yields 6 jumbo muffins so the really scrapped the bowl thoroughly! I was even skeptical about the quantity of blueberries the recipe called for, I thought it was a typo or something, didn't realized that a cup of blueberries goes a long long way. Thankfully, I resisted my urge to add more and it came out beautifully! This is the first time I tasted something as special as this. The crumble on top adds the right amount of sweetness that enhances the blueberries.

nikcreate

I'm a nine to five pencil pusher who loves to play with flour and paper during my free time. Dreams of going to Europe and eat croissants and make pastries all day long!

2 comments:

  1. i'm not saying this lightly--that might be the most perfect blueberry muffin i've ever seen. seriously. that crumble on top really sets it apart. nicely done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! that's so nice of you grace!

    ReplyDelete