Banoffi, Banoffy or Banoffee Pie


Banoffi, Banoffy or Banoffee Pie whatever the pronunciation and spelling it taste absolutely sinful! Regular readers of my blog might have noticed that I'm not a huge fan of bananas however I can be persuaded when bananas are mixed with the right ingredients in this case crushed graham crackers, dulce de leche, whipped cream and chocolate! What can be easier than that? Uhhhh...nothing!

I've been meaning to make Banoffee Pie for such a long time, that now that I've made it, it seems foolish that I've been worrying it might not taste good. Yeah I know something got to be wrong with me think that when chocolates and caramels are part of the ingredients. Thankfully, I got up the courage to try it. they might not be perfect now but hopefully in the future it will be.

As I've mentioned earlier Banoffee Pie has that crunchy graham cracker crumbs that goes well with the gooey dulce de leche layer. This being my first time to ever make a dulce de leche, suffice to say it didn't turn out great. I've been surfing the net trying to find out how to make my own dulce de leche that I think I was traumatized! I read many comments from people who tried making it that sometimes they EXPLODE!!! My gosh! who wants to do that? After that warning I kept telling myself, I can live with out ever trying dulce de leche. (Scared, right? Suck it up! :p)

So after a month or so of talking myself into making one, I took the easiest was of making dulce de leche. I opened a can of condense milk and slowly cook it on top of the stove over low fire. I started out great actually, got thick but just enough that its pourable. As I set my fragrant dulce de leche aside and start assembling the other ingredients, it went downhill from there. After I gingerly and decisively tamp down my graham cracker crust, I quickly grab the pot filled with the newly cooked dulce de leche and behold! as it cools it turned into a huge blob of candy!!! I has so much hard time spreading it that if I had another can of condense milk I would have made a new batch, but alas it was my one and only can. Everything stuck together that a whole can barely covered the whole tart pan, its all in bits and pieces. I even got the bananas wrong, I cut them too thin, that after a day in the fridge the are non existent!

Lesson learned though after this horrible experience it warms my heart when I see how much my family quickly gobbled it all up, so all that frustration and hard work seems worth it.

nikcreate

I'm a nine to five pencil pusher who loves to play with flour and paper during my free time. Dreams of going to Europe and eat croissants and make pastries all day long!

No comments:

Post a Comment