Brazo de Mercedes...

Brazo de Mercedes is a type of rolled cake made of egg whites and when you cut into it the you can see the rich custard filling. It is a very popular type of 'merienda' (snack) here in the Philippines. One of the most popular place to get a taste of this is at Goldilocks. Goldilocks is a local bakery which has grew into an empire. It's cakes and assorted desserts has been a staple in Filipino diet specially during celebration for generations.

When I was a kid, I have no idea what Brazo de Mercedes taste like. My mom is never a big fan of sweets so she never really is the type who will buy rolls of cake for no reason at all. In my family, cakes are meant for special occasions only. I tasted Brazo de Mercedes when I was in high school and fell in love with it, but we being a family with history in diabetes I don't indulge in it.

Making this Spanish-Filipino treat is something different for me because I seldom do traditional Filipino desserts for some reason. But for the whole week last week for some reason, I've been thinking about making it. So I did!

Technically speaking, it was easy and there are tons and tons of recipe online on how to do this. Me? I followed a recipe in Food Magazine Expanded Edition just did minor tweaking. The cake itself is made just like making a meringue the difference is that it's spread onto a roll pan and baked until the top is soft but firm and not crispy like meringue. The filling on the other hand is something else, it's like liquid 'yema', another Filipino favorite, which basically is a cooked custard candies. The original recipe called for WHOLE CAN of condense milk, but knowing the fact that Filipinos have a very sweet tooth, I only used half the can and same amount of egg yolks and cook over a double boiler until thick consistency. Everything was going smoothly until it's time to roll the cooked egg whites, I got impatient and did not sift powdered sugar on the parchment paper where I would roll it. Well...you can guess what happens it STICKED EVERYWHERE! And the silly thing cracked with I was trying to take it out. I got myself a lope sided roll and it isn't pretty. I'm so exited in tasting it even though it's not pretty...utter disappointment tasted eggy. Nothing to do to remedy it, I just sticked it inside the fridge and hope for the best. Thankfully a night stay in the fridge did make it taste better less eggy taste and less sticky and very addictive :D

nikcreate

I'm a nine to five pencil pusher who loves to play with flour and paper during my free time. Dreams of going to Europe and eat croissants and make pastries all day long!

2 comments:

  1. Hello there! I just happened across your blog and wanted to invite you and your appetite for sweets! Ive just started a blog geared for those who want to share their "sweet tooth" recipes. It's brand spankin' new so give me a few days to get some posted.

    BTW, lived in the PI for a little bit. Mom's from Ilocos Norte. I miss Goldilocks and Shoe Mart!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:42 PM

    i live abroad and crazy over the brazos -- super mahal to order here -- can you share me your recipe of the brazos pls?

    ReplyDelete