Wilton Course 1 (Day 1)

I've been waiting for this day for almost 3 months now, finally it's here and it's worth all the wait. As regular readers of this blog might see that I'm a die hard wanna be cake decorator and what better way to learn than from the best! Wilton Cake Decorating Course 1 at 8,500 pesos (approx. $180.00) doesn't come cheap though so I really thought hard whether or not I'm gonna take this and finally made up my mind and gave it a go.

I'm actually not new to cake decorating about 2 years ago I took Heny Sison's Cake Decorating Course 1 too, the difference I think is the technique and some parts taught in the Wilton class I didn't learn before. The techniques are much more presice and the instructor explains it very well the reason behind the particular angle and stuff, which is nice.

Our class was taught by Chef Jackie Po and she made the class lively and fun. She gave alot of tips what NOT to do, which is quite nice. Those are stuff you don't get out of a book. What I liked about is class is also the fact that the number of students are quite small so the instructor can easily go around and see one by one how you are progressing and I also like the fact that I have tons of space to put all my stuff. In this class most of the materials are provided in the Course 1 Student Kit which also includes an instruction manual on all those angles and stuff which is quite nice since it's helpful when we want to apply what we have learned in the class. The only thing i didn't like about the class is that they are hesitant to let as borrow pastry bags and tips because they are afraid we might take them home or they just don't like to wash them, I'm not sure. This is a big deal for me because we waste precious time washing those greasy bags instead of concentrating and practicing our piping. We had so little time...look I didn't even get to finish my rainbow cake.


I hope tomorrow I would do better...Wish me luck!

nikcreate

I'm a nine to five pencil pusher who loves to play with flour and paper during my free time. Dreams of going to Europe and eat croissants and make pastries all day long!

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:52 AM

    Hi there! My wife would have loved to take this course. Any idea when and where the next course will be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Rico,

    you should try calling Living Well in Podium. There's also a branch in MOA you could ask them there or at the different branches of Gourdos

    Sorry don't have their number

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Gian Rosales
    GOURDO'S CUSTOMER CARE
    http://www.gourdos.com
    24-Hour Hotline: +63 (02) 812-3022
    Mobile/SMS: +63 (917) 812-3022
    Email: customercare@gourdos.com

    @Mr. Rico
    @SImplePleasures

    Good afternoon from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia!
    I am interested in Wilton products and classes as well.
    I just found out we have here in Jeddah but the course fee is much higher than in Manila.
    But what can I do?
    This is the reason why I knew of the Gourdo's number because I am trying to get some tools and inquire about the classes.
    Anyway, if compares for the price of the course and tools - mostly the same.
    Good luck to you both and to me - who will enroll in Wilton class course 1 in the next two weeks.

    God bless,

    Tess from Bulacan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, the Wilton course that you attended in manila, was it an official Wilton School?
    Is it leading to a diploma or certificate courses by the Wilton School?

    I have been away for many years and not aware of the availability of baking schools in Manila. except from Henny Sison. Can you you tell me whre to go for the either PME or Wilton Baking and Cake Decorating courses in Manila?

    Tess P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its an accredited Wilton School.
      When I enrolled the instructor is not yet that well versed in the techniques. But I heard that she improved a lot already. Well. she should have its been years when I took up the class and I was probably on the 2nd batch when Living Well started offering it.

      I'm not sure where you can get PME classes here in Manila though

      Delete
  5. Hi, I am planning to enroll for the Wilton course 1 and 2 classes soon. Which one did u find better - Wilton or Henny Sison one? The price difference is substantial, was the Wilton one that much better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I enrolled the instructor is not yet that well versed in the techniques. But I heard that she improved a lot already. Well. she should have its been years when I took up the class and I was probably on the 2nd batch when Living Well started offering it.

      Delete