Sweet Nutty Crust

Still in my Pierre Herme mood, I made his Sweet Pastry Tart Dough. Over the years for blog hopping, I've read so much good review about this particular crust, that I know I have to try it. As some of my regular readers might have notice, I hardly make pies, not if I can help it that is. I still haven't master the art of making the perfect pie crust. I compensate my pie weakness by making tarts instead. I like tarts because usually they have this cookie dough like crust which is basically dump and mix and crust is ready to chill and be use.

What I love about Pierre's book is that there are instructions for both mixer users and in a food processor users. How cool is that! I would have tried making it in my trusty KitchenAid mixer but then I needed to chopped the walnuts separately and well...it's Sunday afternoon I'm feeling lazy so food processor got my vote.

Since I was gifted a food processor for my birthday last year, I still haven't made any crust in it until now. I'm amaze how quickly this crust got made. As we speak I have 3 disk of this sitting in my fridge. I didn't read it thoroughly because it said so in the book that they recommend 2 days of chilling. I'm now thinking of what to top them with. Of course I have to try it with PH's lemon tart, that one got good reviews as well. I have to think of 2 more topping/fillings. Oh, I can't wait to get started.

PIERRE HERME'S SWEET PASTRY TART
by: Pierre Herme & Dorie Greenspan from Desserts by Pierre Herme
  • 2 1/2 sticks of butter, room temperature
  • 1 2/3 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
  • 1 egg
  • 3 1/2 cup all purpose flour, sifted
  • 1/2 cup almonds flour/ground almonds (I used walnuts)
  • pinch of salt
In a food processor, mix the butter and the confectioner's sugar until well blended. The original recipe calls for almond flour or ground almonds, but since I have neither handy I threw in my last stash of walnuts. Add the egg and pinch of salt. Before adding the AP flour , remember to scrape down your bowl to ensure that every ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Add the flour in 3 stages, the finish dough will be soft like a cookie dough. divide into 3 disk and wrap in clingwrap and chill for several days. I like the outcome of using the walnuts, my final crust have specks of brown in them which kind of look pretty to me.

nikcreate

I'm a nine to five pencil pusher who loves to play with flour and paper during my free time. Dreams of going to Europe and eat croissants and make pastries all day long!

No comments:

Post a Comment