Slow Cooked Dulce de Leche

After so many times of trying, I have finally successfully made Dulce de Leche! I have tried the in the can boiling many times before but I often undercooked it and didn't get the rich amber brown color, I think it has something to do with the fact that I read somewhere that it could explode. Thankfully it haven't happened to me yet. After every unsuccessful attempts, I set aside my plans for it and make other dessert to make me feel much better. I often check online what I did wrong and search blogs and forums to see if other bakers encountered same problem as me. 


I stumbled upon a blogger that made dulce de leche by using slow cooker! Jumping up and downm I screamed "I have that!!!" In the middle of the night, in my pj's I went to the kitchen and hunt for our slow cooker. As you can see in the photo below, mine is small and cute approximately a 1 quart. It was a very messy process and since I use 2 cans I cannot leave it for a long time it would have overflow and that would make a huge mess. From the mess at the bottom picture, it would turn into this sticky rich amber color (see top picture).

SLOW COOKER DULCE DE LECHE

2 tins of condense milk, any brand you like
  1. Open two tins of sweetened condensed milk and pour into a slow cooker.
  2. On a medium to high setting, stirring occasionally so as not to burn the milk and so that it wouldn't over flow.
  3. Cook until it's rich amber color. It took me 2-3 hours to that rich color (See photo 1).
  4. Let it cool and store in the fridge until needed.

nikcreate

I'm a nine to five pencil pusher who loves to play with flour and paper during my free time. Dreams of going to Europe and eat croissants and make pastries all day long!

2 comments:

  1. That is a great way to make dulce de leche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo yum! i am always scared of things exploding too

    ReplyDelete