Day 9: Fried Dough

Is it Donuts or Doughnuts? However you spell it, it means heaven for doughnut fiends!  Luckily I’m not one of those people. I can easily resist a doughnut unlike cookies or cakes or chocolates! Haha… as you can see I have enough temptation to last me a two lifetimes. Is is so much less finicky than Croissant dough but not less interesting.
I’ve tried making doughnuts before so class for me was quite easy. What I love about today is our instructor Chef Vicky is so good! I really learned a lot from her! It’s not just following the recipe but understanding how to control the yeast to satisfy your every need. No question is silly or mundane; she sees to it that she gets to answer out every question without making us feel stupid.
Anyway, back to the class. As I’ve said earlier it’s about doughnuts. We made two kinds of doughnuts: Yeast raised doughnuts and cake doughnuts. Both are good. The yeast raised just takes some time while the cake needs a bit of muscle, piping into those round shapes. The process of making it is awesome! You can see how from one lump of dough it turns into this pillowy soft dough that get cut and shape into the familiar doughnut holes. Probably the hardest part of this whole experience is the frying part. It’s just darn too hot in the kitchen and piping out those darn cake doughnuts, making sure they turn a perfect circle is hard!!

My fried doughnuts turn out a bit darker than it should be. I was afraid that it might be raw in the middle so I fried them golden brown. Chef V said only light brown much more appealing to the Filipinos palette.  The fun part is dipping them in chocolate and sprinkling different sort of toppers!

This is honestly one of the most tiring and yet enjoyable class since I learned so much in just a span of few hours!
Next week is Chocolate Artistry..

nikcreate

I'm a nine to five pencil pusher who loves to play with flour and paper during my free time. Dreams of going to Europe and eat croissants and make pastries all day long!

No comments:

Post a Comment