Fondant Deconstructed


I've recently (Saturday Aug. 21) attended my cousin's (well..technically speaking she is my 2nd cousin) wedding in Gloria Maris in Greenhills. I've noticed quite recently the growing trend in weddings where in there is no grand wedding cake but the wedding cake are composed of many small cakes lined up in a tier to mimicking the look of a wedding cake. I guess its much more economical to make small cakes that would serve as the giveaway too! My sister and I both agree that wedding cake makes the wedding looks grand and elegant even if its just a small tiered cake. Moreover, we (my sister and I) like receiving giveaways remeber all those giveaway wedding bells before? My mom has a cabinet of them displaying them all and from time to time we look at those bells and remember the couple who gave it.

I've been often curious about fondant cakes, intrigue actually on how to make them because they look so elegant and chic. But whenever I'm about to try it I kept thinking hmmm... fondant doesn't taste good why waste all the ingredients in something that my family and I won't enjoy eating, so I don't.

But receiving a free mini fondant cake from my cousin's wedding (yeah yeah I know 2nd cousin) gave me an opportunity to satisfy my curiosity. Late Sunday night, after malling with my parents, I dismantled the fondant cake, got rid of the unedibles (another reason why I don't make fondant cakes, I mean I'm all hands for elegance and beauty of a cake but the bottom line for me is is it good does it taste good?), I got my cake knife (its actually an ordinary knife that is long, just like to call it mine hehehe....) and cut a wedge & took a bite.

My verdict: As always I love the fondant cake look however in terms of taste I don't really care for it. I can actually live without it ever. Its not something that I would miss or crave.

nikcreate

I'm a nine to five pencil pusher who loves to play with flour and paper during my free time. Dreams of going to Europe and eat croissants and make pastries all day long!

No comments:

Post a Comment