Devil be Good

When you hear the word whole grain what comes to my mind is hearty breads, so during my recent trip to Page One, I spotted on King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking book and it intrigued me...

Whole Grain Cakes!?!?!

Whole Grain Cookies!!!??!!

WOW! that's something special right!?!

I've been so excited gathering all the ingredients eeerrr....actually I only bought whole wheat pastry flour since I already have a whole wheat flour which I used before (I actually cannot remember which recipe needed that).

For my first try with this book, I chose to make the Devil's Food Cake. Hey! It gotta be chocolate, gotta ease my family into whole grain foods slowly :) The recipe is quite a breeze to make. I'm not actually sure if I did something wrong the batter seems a bit thick but it did make nicely though.

Is it alright to sift whole wheat pastry flour??? When I sifted it, stuff got left behind in the sifter, I think it's all the fiber stuff so after sifting it, I quickly remixed those fiber thingys back into the flour. I couldn't find with in the book if I should or shouldn't have sifted the whole wheat flour.

Another question is: "Are cakes made with all purpose flour + whole wheat pastry flour really a bit firmer that made with an ordinary flour?"

I'm trying to bake healthier stuff nowadays so that my family will be eating not just something sweet that they enjoy very much but also something that is good for their health. So now I'm trying to figure out the ins and outs of whole grain baking, have a hard time in finding barely flour though any suggestion what I can use instead?

nikcreate

I'm a nine to five pencil pusher who loves to play with flour and paper during my free time. Dreams of going to Europe and eat croissants and make pastries all day long!

No comments:

Post a Comment