Brownies Again...

Feeling lazy but craving something sweet? Brownies are the perfect answer. This version is one of my top 3 best brownies because they are dark and rich brownies, generously studded with chocolate chips. For dark chocolate lovers this is really a must try. Although I admit it, the real reason I tried this the first time few months back is that, I'm after the crackly, shinny top. Which I still CANNOT make even after sooooo many tries. It's actually getting frustrating!
But no worries, I just console myself with the fact that even without that shinny crackly top still taste good. I actually more often do this because it's not too sweet like other brownie recipe, it only uses cocoa powder so use the best you can afford, I often use Valrhona Dutched processed, makes it really dark and chocolaty. This being so rich tasting is eaten best with a tall glass of milk. Although I must admit I love almost anything with a tall glass of milk! ^_^KING ARTHUR FLOUR GUARANTEED FUDGE BROWNIES
adapted from Baker's Banter
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter
  • 2 1/4 cups sugar (too sweet for me so I use 1 cup only)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups Dutched process cocoa (I use Valrhona)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp espresso powder, optional (I have no idea where to get instant espresso here in Manila, I just use ordinary instant coffee, I just double the dosage and good!)
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
  • 2 cups chocolate chips
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease and lined a 9x13 pan.
  2. In a microwave safe bowl or in a saucepan set over low heat. Melt the butter then add the sugar and stir to combine. Return the mixture to the heat, just until it's hot. It will become shinny looking as you stir. Set aside.
  3. Crack the 4 eggs into a bowl, beat them with the cocoa, salt, baking powder, espresso powder and vanilla until smooth.
  4. Add the hot butter/sugar mixture, stirring until smooth.
  5. Add the flour and chips stirring again until smooth.*
  6. Spoon the batter into the pan.
  7. Bake brownies for 30 minutes until cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out with few moist crumbs.
  8. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack before cutting and serving. I prefer to put mine in the fridge first before cutting and serving, I find it less messy.

* Note: If you wan the chips remain intact in the baked brownies, rather than melting in, let the batter cool in the bowl for about 20 minutes before stirring in the chips.

nikcreate

I'm a nine to five pencil pusher who loves to play with flour and paper during my free time. Dreams of going to Europe and eat croissants and make pastries all day long!

2 comments:

  1. I made these a few days ago and blogged about them. I couldn't make the crinkly top at first either, but this time around, it came out perfectly. I think it's important that you microwave the sugar/butter mixture twice or three times to make sure they mixed well. This last time, I also allowed the mixture to cool a bit before putting it in the batter b/c of the eggs.

    I love how you customized this recipe to make a dark chocolate brownie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! for the tip. I'll try to make it again soon :D

    ReplyDelete