Oreo Truffles

It's summer here in Manila and we are experiencing El Niño, 35C (95F) is our hotest recorded temperature and the summer barely started! Any logical person would probably not try to make any candy or any chocolate confection that is suceptible to heat. Its very apparent I'm not part of those few logical people. El Niño or not, I wanted to try making Oreo Truffles ever since I saw some gorgeous truffles in Food Gawker.Shaping the oreo balls has been a breeze. The messy part was coating the oreo balls with the chocolate coating. Sometimes the chocolate get so thick and as much as I tap my dipping fork on the side of the bowl, the chocolate just won't budge. Because of that my Oreo truffle balls ended up with a golf ball size truffle and a small truffle. It took me a while getting hand of dripping the truffles I almost gave up but not quite. Both taste excellent though but heck who doesn't like cream cheese and Oreos and chocoate, so what's not to like right?
Eating this is like eating something from a chic chocolate chop, the chocolate coating has a nice crisp crack when you bit into eat, revealing a creamy oreo/cream cheese mixture. Definitely not for those who are in a diet. I, myself shouldn't make this often because I lost count how many truffle balls that I have popped in my mouth during the making process of this.
OREO TRUFFLES
Adapted from
Petite Chef

  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened at room temp.> <>I>16 oz oreos
  • 9 oz dark chocolate, for the hard shell (you can use any chocolate you want)
  1. In the food processor, throw in the oreos whole including the whilte part. Pulse for a few minutes until finely crushed.
  2. Add the softened cream cheese, mix until the cream cheese is evenly distributed.
  3. Grab your smallest ice cream scooper to have an evenly sized oreo truffles. Or you could just eyeball it. The truffle should be smaller than a golf ball.
  4. Arranged the truffle balls in a baking sheet. Cover with cling wrap and chill for 2-3 hours. Can make upto 30 truffles depending on how big or little you make your truffles.
  5. Finely chopped the 9 oz of chocolate or if like me, I used my Callebaut soft baked chocolate chips then there is no need to chop them, just put them in a microwave safe bowl.
  6. On medium High, at 10 to 15 sec interval, slowly melt the chocolate. DO NOT leave unattended. Chocolates scorches easily.
  7. Once melted, let the chocolate cool to 90C or until not so hot that it might melt the truffle.
  8. Dipped the refrigerated truffle one by one and put on a baking sheet lined parchment paper after the chocolate bath to set the chocolate.
  9. It should set up in room temperature or in the fridge.

nikcreate

I'm a nine to five pencil pusher who loves to play with flour and paper during my free time. Dreams of going to Europe and eat croissants and make pastries all day long!

5 comments:

  1. A few of these truffles and one will probably end up being more than "petite!" Heh heh. But of course, totally worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha...yeah I had to be careful. They are very addictive LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh ... my ... goodness ... these look amazing! i'm going to have to make some immediately

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oreo? Did somebody say Oreo? That just made the idea of actually eating a truffle seem slightly tempting..but alas, I don't like truffles. I'm sure I can find something else on your blog to attempt in future baking adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just saw this recipe the other day as well( i cant remember from where now) but they look dangerously addicted.. !! :O)

    ReplyDelete