Intense Chocolate Ice Cream

Ever since my godmother C hand carried the ice cream maker, I've been forever obsess with finding the best chocolate ice cream there is. I know in the blog sphere, ice cream is synonymous to David Lebovitz, I'm read his blog regularly and I find him entertaining. I always find his entries humorous and informative. There are always pictures and most of the time there are recipes. My favorite recipes to try are his ice cream and chocolate creations. I know there are millions of ice cream recipes over the internet however I find his recipes though a bit complicated sometimes but it always work. All the puttering around in the kitchen seems to be all worth it. Some of David's ice cream recipe that I have tried are Malted Milk and Frozen Yogurt, these are a nice addition to your ice cream repertoire. I often make the malted milk ice cream when I'm feeling nostalgic and the frozen yogurt when I'm trying to be healthy and eat less. Hey I can't survive without dessert. I can't imagine myself being cut off from any sweets. This ice cream though I make it whenever I want to indulge because these are really pure indulgence. 


CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
Yields 1 quart.

  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 3 T unsweeened Dutched-process cocoa powder
  • 5 oz bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 5 large egg yolks
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped finely (optional)

  1. Warm 1 cup of cream with cocoa powder in a saucepan, whisking thoroughly to blend the cocoa. Bring to boil then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer for 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until smooth. Stir in remaining cup of cream. Pour the mixture into a large bowl, scraping the saucepan as mch as possible. Set mesh strainer on top of the bowl.
  2. Warm milk, sugar and salt in the same saucepan. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed yolks back into the saucepan. Stir mixture constantly over medium heat making sure to scrape the bottom and the corners of the pan until mixture thickens and reaches nappe consistency.
  3. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir into the chocolate until smooth,  then stir in the vanilla. Continue to stir over ice bath until cool. Refrigerate the mixture to cool thoroughly and then freeze it in your ice cream machine as per the manufacturer's instruction. 
  4. This step is optional but if you want to make it more sinful, while the  ice cream is churning. Finely chopped 4 oz bittersweet chocolate. 5 minutes before the ice cream is done churning, slowly but evenly pour in the chopped chocolates. Be sure to chopped it finely so that when you eat the ice cream you would get small pieces of of chocolate that are easy on the teeth and not a hunk of chocolate that would be too hard when frozen.

nikcreate

I'm a nine to five pencil pusher who loves to play with flour and paper during my free time. Dreams of going to Europe and eat croissants and make pastries all day long!

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, i am so intimidated by homemade ice cream! but this looks so delicious and RICH! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I really like the colour of that ice cream!

    ReplyDelete