Tiramisu

One of my favorite dessert is Tiramisu! I don't often make it because I can eat a LOT of it in one sitting, that's how crazy I am for a tiramisu. I know tiramisu is NOT a true Italian Tiramisu without using authentic mascarpone cheese, sadly it's not readily available and when I do get to a tub or two the price is to the roof! I bring out the big guns during special occasions like birthdays or holidays but for an easy Sunday brunch or dinner, I substitute with Philly cream cheese, I can buy it in any supermarket most of the time.
For the cake layer I use an Italian lady finger variety called Savoiardi. We do have a local lady finger and when in a bind I sometimes use those but it doesn't taste as good as using the Italian one. It's thicker and gives the tiramisu a body when dipped into coffee mixture it doesn't turn very soggy unlike using the local one. But don't worry it does soften as it chills in the fridge so its like easing layer cakes. With the filling being so rich and creamy, I used a dusting of cocoa powder instead of shaved chocolate however if I'm filling indulgent chocolate shavings are the way to go. Using cocoa powder gives me a nice excuse mini Callebaut semi sweet chocolate chips to surround the whole edge of the pan.
Can you guess which cut is the most popular? the edges of course! I don't often drink coffee, thankfully I'm not one of those people who cannot function properly in the morning without chucking down a mug of coffee. However, I must admit that chocolate and coffee together have is an amazing and very hard to resist.

nikcreate

I'm a nine to five pencil pusher who loves to play with flour and paper during my free time. Dreams of going to Europe and eat croissants and make pastries all day long!

2 comments:

  1. The tiramisu looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo so pretty and fancy! i love, love tiramisu!

    ReplyDelete