White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies


After a long hiatus from baking, I can say that I’m back and just in time for Christmas!! This unexpected break occurred due to the flooding that happened few months ago in the area where I live. All my baking equipment and ingredients were submerged in the water. Thankfully my family are all ok and all was lost was material things.

I’ve been slowing cleaning and reorganizing my baking stuff and who would have thought that I have accumulated so much over last few years! It’s taking me 2 Saturday nights of organizing nonstop and I’m only halfway through. Finally got fed up with all the cleaning and organizing, I decided to do a little baking.

Having seen my hidden stash of desiccated coconuts, white chocolate and macadamia nuts, I decided on one of my favorite non chocolate cookie. These are non-chocolate because it uses white chocolate which are technically not a real chocolate. I’m not real fond of white chocolate, given a choice between dark and white hands down I always go for the dark. However, my sister loves white chocolate and you know that impulse buying mood that strikes you when inside a baking store?  

Yes. I get those over baking knickknack. 

My mom cannot seem to understand that impulse. I kept telling her to each her own, she and my sis gets it from bags and shoes, I get it from baking paraphernalia.  

Before this gets to be a long winded debate,  let me take you back to these cookies. These cookies are from The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook, I got this book years ago during one of my book spree. I read somewhere that Magnolia bakery in NYC got famous after being seen in Sex and the City. Being a SATC fan, I was like whoa..when was that? how could I have missed that? Being a dutiful fan that I was I rewatched that said episode and there it was the cute cupcake getting its debut. but I'm not talking about cupcakes here that is another blog. For this entry let's focus on the cookies.


These are as I have mentioned before, one of my favorite cookies. They taste milky, like...milk in a good way. Remember as child when you would eat spoonfuls of powdered milk? In my case, I use to do with with Nido powdered milk. Aside from having that excellent milky taste, it has this sort of tropical feel with the macadamia and the desiccated coconuts. These are pretty much a typical cookie dough recipe and the 3 main components get mixed in when everything is well incorporated. They are actually quite addictive my boyfriend can eat 3 in one sitting and later he would complain about it being too sweet. Instead of using chocolate chips which the recipe calls for. I used hand chopped Valrhona white chocolates, believe me when I say in white chocolates using the best makes a whole lot of difference. And please make sure to chop the chocolates in chunks not shards so you'd get that milky taste in each bite.
WHITE CHOCOLATE MACADAMIA NUT COOKIES
yield: about 3 dozen cookies
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 2/3 cups sugar
  • 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 2 Tablespoons milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 6 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, the baking soda, and the salt. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, cream the butter and the sugars until smooth, about 3 minutes.
     
  4. Add the egg, the milk, and the vanilla extract and mix well.
  5. Add the dry ingredients and beat thoroughly. Stir in the white chocolate, the coconut, and the nuts.
  6. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheets, leaving several inches between for expansion.
     
  7.  Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden.
  8. Cool the cookies on the sheets for 1 minute, then remove to a rack to cool completely.

nikcreate

I'm a nine to five pencil pusher who loves to play with flour and paper during my free time. Dreams of going to Europe and eat croissants and make pastries all day long!

No comments:

Post a Comment