Yup! you read it right. I just made a No Baked Cherry Cheesecake.
I know what you are thinking NO BAKE??? You hate no baked!
Before I made this I'd say you were right. After having a BAD experience with no baked cheesecake before when I ate in a restaurant ran by one of the best culinary school here, they should have been great but they taste horrible. The second bad experience with no baked cheesecake was when I started out baking my cheesecake turn out like a bad jello.
For some reason this time I opted to make the no baked version instead. Our weather here is on and off rain, and when it's raining it pours but when it's not, it's very very hot outside. So standing in front of a hot oven is the lasting I wanted. I remember seeing in Food Magazine a no baked cheesecake version years ago. Since I don't have mangoes available, I omitted those. Surprisingly it was quite easy to make, I only had to bake the crust and mix all the ingredients together.
I'm glad to say they turn out quite good, it's very creamy and luscious which compliments the crisp pastry crust very well. To be honest, I was quite surprised it turned out good. It's a good surprised though. For my slice of cheesecake, I top it with the tart cherry topping for a good contrast. Only my slice because my brother doesn't like it, so for him it's plain cheesecake with chocolate fudge on the side.
NO BAKED CHERRY CHEESECAKE
Adapted from Food Magazine
- 2 tbsp. unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cup all purpose cream
- 2 cups cream cheese, room temp.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. calamansi (is like our lemon here)
- Sweet Pastry Crust (I used Pierre Herme's version)
- Cherry topping - any topping of your choice
1. Preheat to 350 degrees. As evenly as possible press in the dough inside a 10" springform pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
2. While the crust is baking, disperse gelatin in water. Mix well and let it stand for 3 to 5 minutes to allow the gelatin to bloom. In the food processor, process cream cheese, milk and all purpose cream until smooth. Pour in sugar and calamansi process until well blended.
3. When the gelatin blooms, microwave it for 20 minutes until the gelatin granules melted and softened. Do not let the mixture boil. Cool and set aside.
4. Pour the room temp gelatin mixture with the cream cheese mixture.
5. Pour in the mixture in the prebaked crust. Chill until firm for 3-4 hours in the fridge.