Happy Halloween!!!

Next to Christmas, Halloween is my next favorite holiday. Though while growing up I didn't get the chance to Trick or Treat because during those days it wasn't the norm here.  This makes me sound so old! (^_^) Unlike now since there are a lot of Filipinos who have adopted the American traditions, Halloween is a big thing for kids, with their mum or dad in tow, they get to have lots and lots of candy and they get to dressed up in cute or scary looking outfits. They just look so adorable! But of course when I was a child I don't like Halloween because it means scary movies are being shown in the telly and that I have to deduct one day from my precious school vacation to visit and pay my respect to our relatives. I hated the sweltering heat of the sun and the stench of the people since it was always so hot. Now that I'm a grown up I don't hate it as much since it only takes half a day and we are finished. Maybe when I was a kid it was half a day too however since it seems like it took forever before we get back home, in my memory it seems like a whole day.
With many Filipinos being Americanized and following their traditions,  more and more retail stores now sells Halloween themed items like different costumes, and decors. What really have me jumping for joy are the themed cookie cutters and the sprinkles that I recently purchased. They just look so cool I can't help myself! I know I got sucked in my the cute packaging and the vibrant colors but but... nothing I have no excuse, all I can say is that I enjoyed myself. Shopping is therapy you know... :)
To celebrate this occasion, I imagined myself making a Halloween cake, range colored cake with dark chocolate frosting. I did my research and look for something what I had in mind online but to no avail, I decided on making other things like a Halloween decorated cupcake or a cookie but the image of the cake that I want keeps popping in my head. I threw caution to the wind and made a Martha Stewart Yellow Cake and a Chocolate ganache. The Yellow cake turned orange cake is a bit denser than what I was expecting. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my leavening agent or its what suppose to be. The color turned out quite softly colored orange rather than the shocking orange that I was going for. The chocolate ganache isn't as dark as it should be but taste great. I mean, its chocolate so it taste great. I might be too critical with this cake but in the end it still a good cake, not my favorite but a good :D


YELLOW CAKE
Adapted from Martha Stewart

  • 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
  • 1 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 9-by-2-inch round cake pans; line the bottoms with parchment paper. Butter parchment, and dust with flour, tapping out excess; set aside. Into a medium bowl, sift together flours, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the milk and beginning and ending with the flour; beat until combined after each addition.
  3. Divide batter between the prepared pans, and smooth with an offset spatula. Bake, rotating the pans halfway through, until cakes are golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer pans to a wire rack to cool 20 minutes. Invert cakes onto the rack; peel off the parchment. Reinvert cakes and let them cool completely, top sides up.
CHOCOLATE GANACHE

  • 8 oz chocolate, chopped
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  1. Heat heavy cream in a saucepan or microwave.
  2. Pour hot cream mixture over the chocolate, make sure that the chocolates are submerged in the hot cream. Let it stand for 5 minutes.
  3. Mix the chocolate-cream mixture until just combined. Cover with clingfim and stick it in the fridge until the mixture is cooled and a bit firm.
  4. Using the whisk attachment of the mixer, whisk the chocolate-cream mixture until it's all light and fully but still cold.
  5. Can be used at once or if a bit melted stick it in the fridge for couple of minutes and use to frost the cake.

nikcreate

I'm a nine to five pencil pusher who loves to play with flour and paper during my free time. Dreams of going to Europe and eat croissants and make pastries all day long!

No comments:

Post a Comment